In education, wellbeing is important for two reasons. The first is the recognition that schooling should not just be about academic outcomes but that it is about wellbeing of the ‘whole child’; the second is that students who have higher levels of wellbeing tend to have better cognitive outcomes at school.

We have many initiatives in place at Linden Park Primary School to help support student wellbeing. These include social emotional programs such as “Play is the Way” and “What’s the Buzz.”

We also have a school counsellor that students can self-refer themselves to on a Tuesday and Thursday and a pastoral care worker for 7 hours a week. Minimum qualifications for care workers must be a Certificate IV in youth work and they are trained to support the emotional wellbeing of students relevant to ‘mental health’.

We have a student ‘Wellbeing Room’. This room is open to all students during lunch play times on a Tuesday. During this time students are able to play games with others, chat to friends, draw or simply lounge around on the beanbags and read. Playing board games is an important source of relaxation and stimulation. Playing is a sure way to fuel your imagination, creativity, problem-solving abilities and emotional wellbeing. Play can relieve stress, supercharge learning, improve brain function and connect you to others and the world around.

Student Support Services

Children and young people who need extra help can be referred to the Student Support Services team by their teacher.

Student Support Services include social workers, behaviour support coaches, psychologists, special educators, speech pathologists and provide support to children and teachers in state schools and preschools.

If your child’s teacher feels that your child is having difficulties they may engage with the Student Support Services team regarding these difficulties. Your teacher will discuss this with you and obtain your consent before making a formal request for support for your child. For more information feel free to speak to your class teacher, email the school or click here to visit the Department for Education and Child Development (DECD) Web page.